Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 4


I've been fantastic, as usual. My condition was worsening but I finally requested a blessing and I was healed. So, I'm good now. The first week has gone great. Elder Hibbard is from Switzerland and he does speak Italian. Super cool guy. He has been a great trainer so far and I have really enjoyed working with him. Our area is pretty great; the members here are very involved in missionary work. It has been great to work with them. I've met some people that are related to the Ensign's(who live next to us in Bountiful).  Random, but true. Like I said, I was pretty sick at the start so I wasn’t as involved in the lessons as I would have like to have been. But now that I am feeling better, things have been running much smoother.

By the way, VAMOS RAFA!!!! I've been getting some news about the French Open from some members that play and it was good to hear. Disappointed that Fed lost to Tsonga though. Could have been a Rafa - Roger final just like old times... haha

I am loving the mission and it is a really great opportunity. It is different to be a representative of Jesus Christ outside of the MTC. haha You actually represent Him to everyone you contact. It’s pretty cool. It’s been interesting to transition from Josh Hinkle to Elder Hinkle. I have been pretty much completely repurposed.

We have had a few dinner appointments. Its been so different to be on the missionary side of that. haha There has been some really great food that the members have made for us. My favorite was probably this Thai stuff one family made for us. So delicious; it was like chicken and a ton of veggies in some delectable sauce all over rice. Yep… that was great. On the other side of that I eat a lot of things that aren’t as good as that, or as healthy or tomato free... but they are... delicious! And I mean that like, I don’t like it but I eat it and its always delicious.  So, considering that, I eat whatever they give me. These people love tomatoes, let me tell you... and I think I have eaten more desert in this last week than I've had in the last two and a half years. haha But oh well...

We have met some pretty interesting people here in Frederick. There is this one guy and since we cannot knock doors here he goes around and knocks doors sometimes, hands out pass along cards and Books of Mormon and if anyone he meets is interested, he refers them to us! Incredible guy! 

Since it is Monday I thought I would send you something for family home evening. Its called the parable of the popcorn. I found this in my room, left by the missionary before me. I thought of Jordan because she loves popcorn. haha

"1.  Behold, at the time of the harvest the ears of corn did bring forth kernels which were dried and prepared for the poppers hand.
2.  And it came to pass that the popper did take the kernels, all of which did appear alike unto him, and did apply the heat.  
3.  And behold, when the heat was on, some did explode with promise and magnify themselves an hundred fold, and they did burst forth with whiteness which did gladden the eye and satisfy the taste of the popper. Likewise, others did pop to various degrees.  
4.  But lo, there were some that did just lie there, and even though the poppers heat was alike unto all, they did just bask in the warmth and keep all they had for themselves.
5.  And so it came to pass, that which had given of themselves did bring much joy and delight to many munchers but those that kept of their warmth and did not burst forth were fit only to be cast out into the bucket and to be thought of with hardness and disgust.
6.  And thus we see that in the beginning all appear alike, but when the heat is on, some bring forth all they hath, while others fail to pop and are left to be discarded and forgotten."

Food for thought. haha get it!?

My companion has a saying on his wall that reminded me of Jack.
- I was built to be the best, number one and nothing less.
I have to say, I really do miss playing ping-pong with Jack every night. Good times....

I have to go now... still working hard, still having fun.

Love you guys,
Elder Hinkle



No comments:

Post a Comment