Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 16, September 3


Hey everyone! Good to hear you are all doing well and that the birthday people had great birthdays. Your trip to Southern Utah does sound like a lot of fun. Sorry the letter is a day late. The library was closed on Labor day. So we write on Tuesday this week.

First of all, we need to address the elephant in the room...we will just get it out of the way at the beginning - Roger Federer did lose in the fourth round of the us open. I was sad. I am sad. I was really pulling for the Rafa Roger quarter. But alas, there is good news! Rafa made the quarters! My money is on a 2010 repeat of Rafa vs. Nole. Sorry, tennis news finds me quickly. One of the members especially loves to pass news on to me. haha He is really glad I play tennis. He hurt his knee so we haven’t played since close to two weeks since he sent the video. Now, as he is starting to feel better, he insists that he wants to write president and ask if we can play during an unproductive time of the day. haha He is really funny. Elder Dorsey said there is a pretty good chance Pres. will say yes. I don’t know what to expect. Kinda’ funny though. He claims that he went to a seminar for therapists on compassion fatigue (emotional wear and tear due to counseling others) and took a test to measure his level of compassion fatigue. He scored really high... which is really bad.. the number one preventative measure is exercise. haha So he is chalking it up to service hours. Pun intended. We will see what happens. But what I am trying to say is - VAMOS RAFA!

So, I finally got the package that you guys sent me! The one that you put together at the cabin! It was great to read all of the little notes that you guys wrote. I got the package at lunch. We had just come back from service and Elder Dorsey was in the shower. He has been starved for mail lately. While he was in the shower I read all of the notes. Then I got  the bright idea to spread them all out over my desk, along with some additional papers, and wait for him to come out. The look on his face when he came around the corner and saw the abundance of mail before me was almost as priceless as your letters! hahaha! He seemed a little jealous until I handed over the candy. haha He sends his thanks.

This week has been busy! We did get the opportunity to do a lot of work with the members.  We got to see a lot of people.

Saturday, we had a pretty great day planned. We had a few set appointments and we planned to try by some people in between. This was the day before fast Sunday and we did not have a dinner that night. Elder Dorsey must have prayed for a dinner appointment. At each and every home we entered that day, we were fed. Pulled a family's weeds in the morning, ate burgers for lunch. Emailed the progress record, got milkshakes. Visited a family around three, they fed us at four. Visited another family around 4:30, they fed us dinner again. Visited two more people that night and cashed in on two desserts. It was kinda’ ridiculous. Haha.

We have a great ward activity set up this week. The elders quorum is hosting a party at what they affectionately call the big slide of Thurmont. It is apparently a big bowling ally like slide. Should be fun. It will also be a great thing for the members to invite their friends to. Needless to say, we will be there! We are told that invitations will be extended to a few non member families. It may turn out to be a great example of the ward really doing good finding.

We just took a defensive driving class today. A week ago there was three car accidents in two days. As a result, we are no longer allowed to listen to music in the car and we have to take a defensive driving course. Pretty sure I nailed it! Well, we will just say that I would bet on a perfect score. I found my driving record and mailed it in but they still have not processed my tiwi card. No worries though. Elder Dorsey is required to continue driving me around to and fro. I can just chill for now. Totally cool with that. But it went long and I am running out of time to write… We have an appointment with the bishop for dinner and we don’t want to be late to that. Sorry I don’t have more update on investigators. Next time... don’t let the short, uninformative letter fool you... this was a solid busy week just like the one that we expect to have this week. I’ll let you know how that goes Monday.

Until then, just keep enjoying life at home! I am having a great time out here! Life as a missionary is really quite marvelous. I will talk to you guys this coming Monday!

Love you guys,
Elder Hinkle

No comments:

Post a Comment