The Work Of Salvation
Elder Carlson, Second Quorum of the Seventy
We have all been called to the work of salvation. You are a disciple of Jesus Christ and now you have been called to declare his word (3 Nephi 5:13). How can you help? Elder Carlson shared some practical ideas that we could use to talk to people. We would like to share some of his insights with you!
4 Things You Can Do To Attract Attention:
- Smile!: people can see the joy that the gospel brings to your life. When you are always smiling it attracts attention!
- Focus On Helping Other People: People will notice you as a disciple of Christ when you are always doing little things for other people. In the world today that attracts attention!
- Live What You Believe: Live so that those around you can feel the influence of the spirit. The spirit attracts attention!
- Share: Don’t be afraid to share what you believe. Confidence attracts attention!
Talking About The Gospel:
- People learn things when they are ready and willing to learn. Remember that we cannot recognize who wants to learn about the gospel or who is ready (1 Samuel 16:7).
- You succeed when you invite: After that it is up to the person you invited and the spirit.
- Every invitation is important: when you extend invitations it shows God that he can trust you. The more He trusts you the more likely He will be to place people in your path who are prepared to hear the gospel.
- You don't have to be their best friend to introduce them to the gospel.
- In fact, it may be easier because there is less at stake when you dont have to worry about your relationship.
- When they accept your invitation they will be better friends than they were before.
- If they are not interested in the church do not lose interest in them!
- Be honest, loving, and direct when you talk to people about the gospel.
- When they ask a question, answer the question that they ask directly so they can learn what they want to learn when they want to learn it.
- Always leave people with a good impression.
How To Create Gospel Conversation:
- The idea is to get them to ask questions so you can talk about what they want to talk about. Be able to answer with short simple answers.
- Ways of doing this:
- Use Mormon language: if people don’t understand what you are saying they might ask some questions. When you answer their questions you are teaching them what they want to know about your church. For example, you could mention family home evening, mutual, or relief society and elder's quorum. We use weird words.
- Mention news articles about the church: the church is in the news more than you might think. Casually bring up the latest news article you have read about the church. Haven't read any recently? Check out Times Magazine or Mormon newsroom.
- Talk about church activities: tell people how much fun you had the other night at the latest ward activity. Maybe you can invite them to the next one!