Tuesday, December 2, 2014

December 1, 2014

Hey guys! Happy Thanksgiving again!! Sounds like you guys had a good holiday! We did too! Really good food. 

We had a really good week this week. Brother K was out of town but we were able to maintain semi-consistent contact with him. 

And I did not get transferred this time! Elder D did though... that's a bummer.  But it will be fun to take over the area and make some changes here. I'm going to talk our area up a ton and spin it super positive. And then stay positive! There is a ton of sweet stuff going on here so hopefully we will be able to eliminate any feelings of negativity about the work here. When a new missionary comes in I have learned that it is very important to present the new area in the right way. If you do not, it can make things a lot harder. But the glass in Fort Smallwood is half full. That's for sure. 

Oh yeah... we painted this guy's house and he has us eat this pizza that was made out of pretzel and nacho cheese sauce and pepperoni... Interesting food. 

Like I said, Thanksgiving was cool. There was a lot of food. The other missionaries played ultimate frisbee that morning  for a while which did look really fun from the sidelines.

Yesterday was pretty crazy. We raked leaves for like four hours. haha It was fun. That's the most work I've gotten to do in a long time. Elder D was all sore. I was surprised but not sore at all really. Which is good. haha These guys had so many leaves! It puts Grandpa's leaf piles to shame! It's madness out here. I'm surprised that more people have not had us rake this year..but we aren't in a very open country area at all really... 

Hey! Thanks for the package this week!! That was awesome! I loved getting your letters this week and the electric blanket has already been of use. It's super nice! Your home-made caramels were a big hit too. Everyone loved those. Thank you guys so much!! 

I was studying the sacrament yesterday morning. I was studying primarily from the latest general conference and the book of Mormon. I learned a lot the other day. I was reading elder Hamula's talk I think, about the sacrament. He talked about why the order in which we take the bread and water is important. I found this pretty interesting. We take the bread in remembrance of the body of Christ. In His body He came to earth and in His body He was killed and died. But in His body He rose from the grave breaking the bands of death for us all. As we remember His risen body, we are reminded of our own inevitable resurrection... I know that I will certainly be resurrected and be brought back into the presence of God where I will be judged... that happens because of the resurrection of Christ. Because He was resurrected, all of us will be brought to stand before God at some future point. We remember the victory over physical death... for some, that is cause to celebrate and for others it is cause to mourn because of their poor choices...The scriptures teach us that no unclean thing can stay in the presence of God... so we take the bread and we are reminded of this dilemma... but we then take the water in remembrance of the blood He spilt for each of us. Christ Himself declared the solution to the Nephites when He told them that through his blood they could be made clean. When we drink of the water we remember his atoning sacrifice. We remember the victory over spiritual death or separation from our Heavenly Father. As we take the sacrament we covenant to take upon us the name of Christ, always remember him, and keep his commandments. He promises us that we may have his spirit to be with us. The spirit is a cleansing and purifying agent. As we yield to the promptings of the Holy Ghost telling us to do good things and follow Christ we get better. We are sanctified... it's a process. Taking the sacrament yesterday with those thoughts in my mind was a highlight of the day. I am truly grateful to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost who is helping to purify me. And I hope to be better able to yield to his quiet voice. 

We just barely got the Ensign for November... I'm so stoked about it! I love re-reading general conference!! It's pretty sweet! There is a lot to learn there. I have not gotten the December one yet... I imagine I will pick it up at transfers on Wednesday. It's going to be weird. All of the sisters I came out with go home this week.... and soon a lot of the missionaries I have known most of my mission will start going home... It's going to be lame if I can't go to the transfer meetings now.. Hopefully, I will be able to go to most of them. My companions are going to start leaving soon. 

Anyway, I've gotta run for the day! I will talk to you next week! By the way! There are only twenty five days til Christmas!! What's up!? haha 

I love you guys!
elder Hinkle

No comments:

Post a Comment